by Philippa Gregory, David Baldwin, Michael Jones
Publication Date: September 13, 2011
#1 New York Times bestselling author Philippa Gregory teams with two eminent historians to explore the historical characters in the real-life world behind her Wars of the Roses novels.
PHILIPPA GREGORY and her fellow historians describe the extraordinary lives of the heroines of her Cousins’ War books: Jacquetta, Duchess of Bedford; Elizabeth Woodville, wife of Edward IV; and Margaret Beaufort, mother of Henry VII.
In her essay on Jacquetta, Philippa Gregory uses original documents, archaeology, and histories of myth and witchcraft to create the first-ever biography of the young duchess who survived two reigns and two wars to become the first lady at two rival courts. David Baldwin, established authority on the Wars of the Roses, tells the story of Elizabeth Woodville, the first commoner to marry a king of England for love; and Michael Jones, fellow of the Royal Historical Society, writes of Margaret Beaufort, the almost-unknown matriarch of the House of Tudor.
In the introduction, Gregory writes revealingly about the differences between history and historical fiction. How much of a role does speculation play in writing each? How much fiction and how much fact should there be in a historical novel? How are female historians changing our view of women in history?
The Women of the Cousins’ War is beautifully illustrated with rare portraits and source materials. As well as offering fascinating insights into the inspirations behind Philippa Gregory’s fiction, it will appeal to all with an interest in this period.
- Tour Dates: November 7 - November 21
- Tour signups will close on
September 2*New* September 11
- This book will be available in both PRINT and EBOOK formats. Ebook copies will be available through Netgalley.
- To sign-up - please leave a comment with your name, e-mail address, blog name, format preference (print/ebook), and the date you would like to post your review (check calendar below - first come, first-serve. If a date is already taken, you must pick a different date. Please click the arrow to move over to the correct month as it is set to the current month automatically).
- This tour is open to USA bloggers.
11/7/2011 -- A Bookish Affair
11/8/2011 -- Review from Here
11/10/2011 -- Man of La Book
11/12/2011 -- The Bookish Mama
11/14/2011 -- True Book Addict
11/21/2011 -- CelticLady